Avoiding Purgatory — Spiritual Checkup
Cardinal Stefan Wysznyski
Spiritual Checkup - Have I Failed To:
1. Respect everyone - Christ lives in everyone:
2. Think well of everyone - think ill of no one:
- Be sensitive to others. They are your brothers and sisters.
3. Always speak well of others:
- Try to find something good even in the worst circumstances.
4. Speak to everyone in the language of love:
- Do not cast a slur on anyone.
- Repair any harm resulting from an uttered word.
- Do not provoke strife between people.
5. Forgive everyone everything:
- Do not raise your voice.
- Do not swear.
- Do not vex others.
- Do not provoke tears.
- Reassure others.
- Show a kind heart.
6. Act always to your neighbor's advantage:
- Do not hold grudges.
- Always be the first to extend your hand a sign of reconciliation.
7. Be actively compassionate in time of suffering:
- Do good things to others, as you would like them done to you.
- Never give a thought to what others owe you, but always to what you owe them.
8. Work conscientiously:
- Be quick to offer consolation, council, assistance, kindness.
9. Be active in your community:
- Others benefit from the fruits of your labor, just as you benefit from the labors of others.
10. Pray for everyone, even your enemies.
- Be open to the poor and the sick.
- Share your goods.
- Try to see the needs of those around you.
Cardinal Stefan Wysznyski (1900 - 1981)
Excerpted from Love One Another Catholic Magazine,
"The ABC's of the Crusade for Love", Back Cover, Vol. 1/September 2003.
Provided courtesy of Love One Another:
A publication of The Society of Christ
(Society of Christ Provincial House,
3000 Eighteenth Mile Road,
Sterling Heights, MI 48314 USA)